Four UCCS staff members and three family members of UCCS employees were among more than 500 graduates who took part in the fall commencement ceremony Dec. 20 at the Broadmoor World Arena.
“It was one of the most joyful days of my life,” said Nan Kerr, executive assistant to vice chancellor of administration and finance Chuck Litchfield, who graduated magna cum laude with her bachelor’s degree in communication.
“My kids were so supportive through the whole journey. They helped me with homework, they helped me search for classes. I never knew what RateMyProfessor.com was, but they were all over that! As a family, we were all in it together.”
Kerr continued, “Even with all that, my kids told me I was romanticizing what it means to have a degree. But I don’t agree with that. It feels just as great as I could have ever imagined. Graduation was one of the best days of my life. Top three, definitely.”
Many of the graduates took advantage of the tuition benefit provided to CU employees and qualified dependents. The tuition assistance benefit allows UCCS employees and their dependents to waive up to nine credits per academic year for undergraduate and graduate courses. For additional information, visit CU Employee Services.
Staff who earned degrees included:
- Krista Herring, program coordinator for membership and communications in Campus Recreation. Herring earned her master’s degree in leadership in education.
- Nan Kerr, executive assistant to vice chancellor of administration and finance Chuck Litchfield. Kerr graduated magna cum laude with her bachelor’s degree in communication.
- Rachel Menkhus, business intelligence analyst in the Office of Information Technology. Menkhus earned her master’s degree in communication.
- Tyahna Orlowske, student employment advisor in the Office of Financial Aid, Student Employment and Scholarships. Orlowske earned her bachelor’s degree in communication.
Family members of staff who earned degrees included:
- Mickey Meehan, son of budget director Suzanne Scott. He graduated summa cum laude with his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice.
- Kristy Martinez, sister of Katie Harris, the director of undergraduate programs for the College of Business. She earned a master’s degree in public administration.
- Steven Vigil, son of Stephanie Vigil, program assistant for the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. He earned his bachelor’s degree in business.
The list of graduates only includes those that University Communications is aware of. If an omission was made, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.