September 4, 2014
To the Campus Community:
As many of you already know, UCCS will celebrate its 50th Anniversary beginning in 2015. A series of events and activities are planned to highlight the university’s achievements and forward trajectory.
As we begin the fall semester, I want to highlight some of the planned activities and encourage faculty and staff to get involved and contribute to showcasing UCCS as the great, community-connected university we know it to be.
We will begin the celebration with the publication of a commemorative book, “Discovering Place: A UCCS Field Guide,” a must-read for anyone interested in the details of this special place. Edited by Tom and Carole Huber of the Geography and Environmental Studies Department, “Discovering Place” includes 24 chapters from faculty, staff and students who share their expertise and passion. A release event is being planned for later this semester.
The Campus Bookstore will have copies available in mid-September for $19.65.
Additionally, following several meetings of a 50th Anniversary Committee, a series of campus and college-based events are being planned. The goal of the events is to celebrate our success and encourage alumni and community members to support the university’s future efforts.
Each college selected a month to showcase itself. These celebrations offer great opportunity for faculty and staff involvement.
The months are:
- February, College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- April, College of Education
- May, School of Public Affairs
- September, College of Engineering and Applied Science
- October, College of Business
- November, Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Additionally, my office commissioned a 50th Anniversary graphic to be used on promotional materials. I encourage the campus community to use this graphic, in coordination with the campus logo, for appropriate events. The graphic and instructions for its use are available at www.uccs.edu/brand/50th.html.
In addition, a special section has been added to the on-line campus calendar for any events with a 50th Anniversary component. I encourage colleges and departments to add 50th Anniverary components to annual events. There is plenty of opportunity to be creative and fun during the year, so please do not assume someone else or another area is already working on an idea you have for a one-time 50th Anniversary event or function – collaborate with others to contribute to this momentous year.
When adding events to the calendar, please remember to select this category from the “Event Types” http://events.uccs.edu/
Planned campus and community-wide events include
- Campus Appreciation Kickoff, Jan. 22, 2015
- Blackout Night basketball game with the premier of a UCCS anthem, Jan. 30-31, 2015
- Colorado Springs St. Patrick’s Day Parade with UCCS showcased, March 14, 2015
- “The Liar,” a Theatrework’s directed by Murray Ross. Theatreworks is celebrating its 40th anniversary year, April 23-May 10, 2015
- Homecoming events, September and October 2015
- University Center Time Capsule Opening, Fall 2015
- Commencement, Yusef Komunyakaa, a Pulitzer Prize winner in poetry and 1975 UCCS graduate, will deliver the commencement address, Dec. 18, 2015
- Festival of Lights Parade with UCCS showcased, Dec. 2015
Other celebrations are planned including commemorative merchandise at the Bookstore, a magazine highlighting the history of the university, and trivia nights at Clyde’s. All are envisioned to remember the university’s past and celebrate its future.
There are many ways to get involved. I encourage you to do so and to join in making the university’s 50th anniversary celebration truly memorable.