Employees with excess vacation hours should use them or donate them to leave banks before they are removed from their accounts during leave sweeps.
Vacation and sick leave limits temporarily increased
Leave limits vary based on whether an employee is university staff, 12-month faculty or classified staff. They may maintain hours up to their limit but anything over is considered excess.
On May 19, the Board of Regents unanimously voted to allow flexibility to Regent Policy 11.E, for employees who have been unable to take vacation due to the coronavirus crisis. This flexibility allowed for the chancellor to approve a new maximum of vacation hours that can be retained by an employee before the leave sweep occurs on July 1. The state personnel board rules were changed through emergency rulemaking, effective April 1, 2020.
For the UCCS campus, changes to the leave sweep are as follows:
University staff and 12-month faculty
- Employees may carry up to 80 hours over maximum – temporary maximum of 432
- Any amount over 432 hours will be swept on July 1, 2020
- On July 1, 2021, the leave sweeps will bring anyone over the maximum back to 352 hours.
- Under no circumstances will an employee be paid over the maximum 352 hours upon separation from the university.
- Per APS 5062, supervisors can approve or deny vacation requests: “Upon approval by the supervisor, vacation may be taken after the close of the pay period in which the leave is earned.”
- Employee may carry up to 80 hours over the maximum for their length of service.
- 1 through 5 years – temporary maximum is 272 hours
- 6 through 10 years – temporary maximum is 320 hours
- 11 through 15 years – temporary maximum is 368 hours
- 16 years and above – temporary maximum is 416 hours
- Any amount over the temporary maximum will be swept on July 1, 2020.
- On July 1, 2021, the leave sweep will bring anyone over the maximum back to correct maximum accrual based on length of service:
- 1 through 5 years – maximum is 192 hours
- 6 through 10 years – maximum is 240 hours
- 11 through 15 years – maximum is 288 hours
- 16 years and above – maximum is 336 hours
- Under no circumstances will an employee be paid over the original maximum hours (not temporary maximum hours) upon separation from the university.
- Per State Personnel Board Rules 5-4, supervisors can approve or deny vacation requests: “Annual leave is for an employee’s personal needs and use is subject to the approval of the appointing authority.”
What are leave sweeps?
Leave sweeps remove university and classified staff excess vacation and/or sick leave hours, as required by state and university policies. The process helps to ensure employees use their hard-earned vacation hours, and allows them to confirm no errors occurred with their leave throughout the year.
Excess hours will be removed from employee accounts after the July monthly payroll, so they should be used by June 30. Employees who are unable to use their leave by this deadline may donate their vacation time to a leave bank. Each campus has its own leave-sharing policy, and the UCCS policy is outlined in 300-007.