“Everyone can be great because everybody can serve,” spoke Martin Luther King, Jr. in a call to service. The UCCS community can answer that call during the UCCS Days of Service and Action, a week-long series of events to be held from Apr. 23–29, 2022.
The UCCS Days of Service and Action are inspired by the federal holiday in honor of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and are a way for UCCS to invest in the health and harmony of its community. Participants can volunteer for service projects that connect to the broader Colorado Springs community and participate in educational workshops focused on activism, advocacy and King’s teachings. The Days of Service and Action have been rescheduled from January 2022.
Events throughout the week are free and open to all UCCS students, staff, faculty, alumni, and affiliated friends and family. To receive reminders for upcoming events and workshops, RSVP for the series.
Event Schedule (subject to change)
- Saturday, April 23: Day of Service with UCCSlead
- Monday, April 25: Day of Action with a community dialogue hosted by the UCCS Student Government Association and a story time from Lil Miss Story Hour (for the Family Development Center)
- Tuesday, April 26: Day of Action with a lunch workshop hosted by the Matrix Center
- Wednesday, April 27: Day of Action with a workshop hosted by the MOSAIC and LGBTQ+ Resource Center
- Thursday, April 28: Day of Action with an open mic event from Poetry 719 and a workshop hosted by the MOSAIC and LGBTQ+ Resource Center
- Friday, April 29: Keynote Breakfast, service projects with the Office of Sustainability, and a film discussion with the Women in Cybersecurity UCCS Student Chapter
The Kraemer Family Library will also be hosting a book display of texts relevant to to King’s work and themes of social and environmental justice at the Circulation Desk on the third floor throughout the week.
Sponsors and event partners include the Multicultural Office for Student Access, Inclusiveness, and Community (MOSAIC), the Faculty Minority Affairs Committee, the Department of Student Life, LIVE Leadership, UCCSlead, the Chancellor’s Leadership Class, the Office of the Dean of Students, the Office of Sustainability, University Advancement and the Office of Alumni Relations and the Annual Fund.