UCCS is closely monitoring developing conditions for a weekend storm that could bring a significant amount of snow to the Pikes Peak region, impacting campus operations.
The National Weather Service is forecasting between 4-10 inches of snow in Colorado Springs, with up to 16-24 inches of snow in the Monument area, making for difficult conditions across El Paso County.
While these estimates are changing, NWS warns of possible blizzard-like conditions from late Saturday into Sunday in northern El Paso County with possible damage to trees, power lines and more.
Due to the impacts of this storm, UCCS is making the decision out of an abundance of caution to close campus at 12 p.m. on Saturday and remain closed through Sunday night. Any delays or closures for Monday will be communicated through UCCS Alerts.
This will impact various areas of campus:
Residence Life & Dining:
- Alpine Express will be closed Saturday and Sunday. Roaring Fork dining hall will be open from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- To-go meals are available for students, see our flyer below for more information.
- Shuttles will run to take students from residence halls to Roaring Fork.
- See our flyer with weekend to-go information
Events Services & Ent Center for the Arts:
- Most events have been canceled this weekend, including those at the Ent Center for the Arts.
- The VAPA Hecatomb show will likely continue on Friday at 7:30 p.m.
- Ticketholders for Hecatomb shows on Saturday at 2 p.m., 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. should await further communication from the Box Office, but will likely be canceled.
- UCCS Athletics announced it would move its scheduled Women’s soccer game to this coming Wednesday.
Kraemer Family Library:
- The library will be open for limited hours on Saturday through 12 p.m., but be closed on Sunday.
- Visit their website for updated hours and virtual resources.
Facilities Services teams will work to maintain sidewalks, roads and parking lots.
If you believe weather conditions could make it difficult for you to leave campus or return home, please prioritize your safety first.
Stay up-to-date about campus closures with our following methods:
- Text messages – Make sure your number is registered with UCCS Alerts to receive emergency communications. Students are automatically enrolled with the contact information provided in their MyUCCS portal. Employees and parents can register as well through rave.uccs.edu.
- Email – All students and employees are registered to receive emergency communications to their UCCS email accounts.
- Website – Weather impacts are posted to the main uccs.edu page, alerts.uccs.edu and at FlashAlerts.
- Social media – UCCS Alerts communication is posted to the Facebook and Twitter pages for UCCS Emergency Management, UCCS Police and the main UCCS account.
- Traditional media – During weather events, traditional broadcast and print media rely on FlashAlerts for updated information on closures, and will also share that information.
- Phone – UCCS Police maintains a closure number at (719) 255-3346. People can call that number to learn if the campus is open, on a modified schedule or closed.